LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12)

Andy and Sam Header

Hi Everyone,

The parts bins are slowly emptying and there seems to be a light at the end of a two year tunnel. This week I had my friend Mike come over and help me finish of the exhaust. He normally welds custom stainless benches and dairy equipment but was kind enough to come over and roll around under the Landy for an hour or so to the join the old and new bits together.

I have fitted new downpipes and a Y piece purchased in NZ as the old bits were like Swiss cheese after a few years of salt spray and neglect. The back half was still in OK condition so I have ended up with a hybrid system that does not sound too bad. It only has a single free-flow muffler so the neighbours will know every time I take it out!

 

 

 

IMG 1222 300x225 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12) IMG 1223 300x225 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12)

IMG 1224 300x225 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12)

I have also fitted all the new lights and headlamp bowls to the front guards and then bolted them in place. The old headlamp bowls were rusted and could not be adjusted so the new Paddocks replacements made of plastic and stainless should last a hell of a lot longer. I decided not to upgrade to halogen bulbs and stayed with the sealed beams just in case it causes problems when I try to re-register it. I have fitted new sidelights and indicators at the same time given they were so cheap and the old ones were looking a bit tatty. The guards mounted up OK but the bolts that join them up to the firewall gave me a bit of grief. There is not a lot of room to get your hand or a socket in there to tighten them up but I got there eventually.

The expansion tank and washer tank went on without too much trouble and mounting up the coil was easy enough as well. It looks like someone has fitted a 12V coil rather than a standard one so I have wired it up direct to 12V rather through the ballast resistor like standard. I spent a bit of time at this point tidying up the wiring and cable tying it all out of the way of the exhaust and moving bits, the last thing I wanted was the loom to be damaged or burnt through because I had not tidied up the looms .

IMG 1225 300x248 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12) IMG 1226 300x225 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12)

The new radiator should be turning up next week but I was impatient so I temporarily fitted the old one as it holds water but the fins are in a bit worse for wear. I borrowed the battery from our little pulsar and after temporarily fitting the choke cable we tried turning it over. It took about 10 to 15 seconds of cranking to pull the fuel through and then it fired into life for the first time in about 12 months. It was a bit rattly at first but I think it took 5 or so seconds to build up oil pressure and fill up the filter even though it had been cranking for a while. After the pressure got up it settled into a nice idle and is not blowing any smoke or running rough at all, not bad for a 25 year old engine!

Once it was up and running we also fitted the windscreen back in, it was back from having custom cut glass by another friend who is a auto glazier. This was a bit of a struggle as although it has hinges, you can’t actually use this to put it into place unless you remove the roof first. It took a fair bit of brute force to drop it over the pins in the base of the screen but once in place it looked much better than the old cracked and dirty screen that we took out. The icing on the cake is that the washer jets and wipers work too. I was not looking forward to testing them as it would have rewired the fourth removal of the dash in as many weeks to fix them if they didn’t work properly.

IMG 1227 300x225 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12) IMG 1228 300x225 LANDY DOWN UNDER by ANDREW (PART 12)

We also fitted a few random bits into the interior like the sun visors and the door seals to the frames now everything is in place. The next steps will be reassembling the doors once the new locks turn up, fitting the new indicator stalks and then the final assembly of the interior and the front radiator / grill assembly. All going well I will be posting again next weekend with a video of the Landy driving down the road all complete and ready to get certified and new registration plates issued.

 

Email This Post Email This Post
Comments 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

HTML tags are not allowed.